random ramblings

Icon

Just another WordPress.com site

Dark Room project progress

since i got the enlarger been using it a few times, printing some old negatives, i think i’m getting the hang of it. using a self timer is certainly very helpful, as no longer you must guesstimate the exposure time. as all i have right now is 4 x 6 paper, the prints are small and look sharp enough, it looks like the fujimoto lens it came with are sufficient enough for me right now.

I’m planning to get a larger paper (8 x 10), but still searching for it as local stores only sell small sized paper. buying from freestyle will be perfect as i can buy some film too, but the shipping cost is to high, it ends up doubling the prices. blanco negro sells foma stuff that i want to try, and the shipping cost from Australia is still very reasonable, so thinking of ordering from them, already spoken to the owner Chris, very kind and helpful.

Film Developing

on the film developing front, last night (31 July 2010)  i’d tried to develop my first roll from the kiev, a black and white lucky SHD 100 film, but apparently my reel loading technique need more practicing, when it came out the film were bended, and sticking to each other, resulting white blotches on the film. on a better note, at least now i know that is nothing wrong on the kiev, the pictures came out okay and well exposed apart from the wrong guesses i made on the exposure.

first try, failed loading the reel, resulting in bended negatives and white blotches

right now I’m in the process of finishing my second roll, and hopefully my first success on developing film on my own. it’s a good thing lucky films only cost about US$1 each!

update august 3, 2010

just finished the second roll, straight to processing when i get home, the loading practice pays off and loading the reel was a breeze, i use Micro-MF for the developer for 16 minutes (full agitation the first minute) with 10 second agitation every one minute. got no stop bath, so use water instead, 4-5 times rinse, and goes in the fixer (Acifix), i re-use the fixer from last time for 8 minutes (full agitation the first minute) and the same 10  second agitation every one minute. after rinsing the film, i dry them and this is the negatives:

First Success

seems under exposed images, still learning to use "sunny 16" rule

hopefully i can print some frame tonight and scan them so i can upload them straight away. the negatives looks nice, some pictures are again under exposed from wrong guessing the exposure, more practice needed, this is my first meter-less camera after all.

Original contents copyright 2010 by Dave A. Andiputra. All Rights Reserved.

Advertisements

Filed under: dark room, Kiev Saga, , , , , ,

One Response

  1. […] Dark room project progress report […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: